Perhaps, Anushka Shetty’s terrific performance in the horror thriller Bhaagamathie is best explained by the fact that director G Ashok did his share of waiting for five years for South India’s lady superstar. Even though Anushka had dedicated her schedule to SS Rajamouli’s magnum opus Baahubali, Ashok couldn’t bring himself to get any other actress to play the lead in his revenge thriller but our beloved Sweety. The following and fandom she walks with under her command in unmatched to anyone in her league, possibly why when there’s Anushka in the frame, you barely pay attention to anybody else.
Soon after makers of Rajinikanth and Akshay Kumar-starrer 2.0 gave up the Republic Day 2018 slot to push the release of their ambitious project, team Bhaagamathie jumped at the opportunity at once grabbing it by seize wasting, not a second more. Mounted on Anushka’s shoulders alone, the solo heroine thriller performed triumphantly at the box office as it offers more than a few spine-tingling frightening moments. Riding high on the raving reviews by critics, Bhaagamathie raked in unprecedented numbers thereby suspending every disbelief attached with Anushka’s capability of delivering a solo blockbuster.
Within days of opening in cinema halls, Bhaagamathie smashed records left, right and centre. Here are 5 such milestones marked by the fear-instilling film.
1. Bhaagamathie became the all-time biggest woman-centric opener in the history of South Cinema with a whopping collection of Rs. 17 crore on its first day worldwide.
2. After striking gold on the home ground, the Anushka starrer created history for becoming the first South Indian heroine-centric film to gross over $1 million in the US.
3. Bhaagamathie beat Rudhramadevi to become Anushka Shetty’s best solo career hit till date.
4. When the movie first premiered on television, it raked in a handsome TRP figure of 12.6 on BARC scale which is impressively good for a film with no male superstar.
5. A report by a Tollywood news portal stated that Bhaagamathie had beaten Samantha Ruth Prabhu–Ram Charan starrer Rangasthalam to become the ‘most-downloaded’ film at the time of its release. While we don’t support piracy in any way whatsoever, the numbers do speak about the buzz generated by the Anushka starrer.
Have you watched Bhaagamathie yet? The Anushka Shetty film is now streaming on ZEE5.