Among the many shows that are running on AndTV, Ek Mahanayak Dr B. R. Ambedkar has garnered a fan following like no other. The show sheds light on the social issues, that prevail in society. It also depicts the hardships that Ambedkar has faced, during his childhood.
If you haven’t watched the trailer, watch here:
The show, which started airing on 17th December 2019, highlights in detail, the discrimination that people hailing from lower-castes, still have to face, in India. Here are 5 instances from the show that made an impact.
1. Discrimination during child-birth: Even before entering this world, Bhim, as he is addressed by all, had to indirectly face caste discrimination. When his mother went into labour, his father had a hard time finding a doctor, as each one, denied helping a woman, belonging to a lower caste. This scene is vital, as it shows the kind of mistreatment, they were subjected to.
2. No access to public amenities: In a scene from the show, while the whole village gathered to drink water from the well, the kids and the family were not allowed to do the same. They were made to stand separately, where water was poured from a height into their mouths so that the vessel can’t touch them.
3. Mistreated by school kids: The kids in Bhim’s school, ended up mistreating him and his siblings. The kids in their class used to treat them differently and would leave them out of the usual discussions and activities. In one episode, they even tore Bhim’s books, as the latter complained to the teacher, about his classmates being dishonest.
4. Unwilling to share food: Bhim and his siblings were made to feel left out when they weren’t allowed to touch the same utensils, that people from the higher caste ate from. While they would give Bhim their food, they refused to take the same from him when he offered, it claiming it to be unworthy or untouchable. This kind of treatment filled Bhim with immense rage.
5. Denying basic rights: Another major incident that occurred in Bhim’s life was when his mother fell critically ill. Every doctor in the village denied to treat her. Her father and all the kids had to see their mother suffer, as she was not being given proper treatment, which was her right.
These instances clearly indicate the kind of discrimination done to people from lower castes. Seeing this kind of mistreatment is what led Dr B. R. Ambedkar, to fight for the downtrodden.
Watch the recent episode of Ek Mahanayak Dr B. R. Ambedkar exclusively on Zee5.